Nootropics are one of the hottest trends in the health and wellness industry. Those who take their supplements seriously are well aware of nootropics and their types. Nevertheless, many people are unfamiliar with what they are, and many question their effectiveness on one’s health.
There are different varieties of nootropics available, and you will be surprised to know that the most common one is caffeine. They are called cognitive enhancers as they help in elevating an individual’s concentration levels and allow them to be more productive.
If you are new to the world of nootropics, this post will help you understand them better. And in doing so, we will also explain top nootropics that can help you increase your concentration levels.
Let’s get started.
What are Nootropics?
Nootropics are natural or synthetic compounds that help in enhancing the cognitive abilities of humans. In other words, they are supplements (also drugs) that boost brain function, creativity, attention, and focus. So nootropics can be anything that may have a positive impact on mental skills.
Nootropics fall under three categories – prescription drugs, synthetic compounds, and dietary supplements. Studies suggest that taking nootropics can boost brain power and allow a healthy individual to function productively.
For a compound to qualify as the best nootropic, it must:
- Not have any toxic, stimulant, or toxic effects
- Protect the brain from harmful chemical damage
- Safeguard the brain to perform well under disruptive situations
- Enhance neuronal firing mechanisms
- Improve learning ability and memory
Many people ask whether nootropics actually work. Well, nootropics are known for providing short-term benefits. Some of the known benefits of nootropics include:
- Nootropics have been associated with memory improvements. They can ease age-related memory loss and optimise performance-based memory functions.
- Nootropics are considered to be the energy boosters as they stimulate the brain, eliminating the unpleasant side effects. Nootropics influence mitochondria (a powerhouse of the cell) and stimulate energy production.
- Nootropics can help improve sleep quality and encourage healthy sleep patterns.
- The majority of people take nootropics to enhance their mood. Individuals experiencing anxiety, depression, and stress take nootropics to lower its effects.
- Those who are involved in tasks that require sheer attention and focus take nootropics as the compound has shown to improve concentration power and focus levels.
- Students looking to improve their performance, grasping capabilities, and attention often takes nootropics while studying. Nootropic compounds are capable of handling challenges like mental energy, memory, and focus.
- Nootropics regulate a brain chemical called dopamine that is responsible for stimulating a sense of motivation.
- Last but not least, nootropics are a boon for creative individuals as it helps them in maintaining their creativity and enhance their creative spirits.
These are some of the potential benefits of taking nootropics. As said, there are several different types of nootropics available. In the next section, we are going to discuss the top five nootropics that you should know about.
5 Best Nootropics that can Help you Increase Focus
Here is a look at the 5 best nootropics and how they boost performance:
You probably take this nootropic pretty much every day. In fact, caffeine is the most widely consumed nootropic in the world that has psychoactive effects. Caffeine is naturally found in compounds like tea, coffee, kola nuts, and cocoa. It works in a way that when it reaches the brain, it blocks the adenosine receptors, making you feel less tired and with increased attention. Moderate caffeine consumption – anywhere between 40mg and 300mg daily – can help increase your attention and alertness and lower your reaction time.
L-Theanine is an amino acid that is naturally found in tea. L-Theanine is shown to have a calming effect on the brain, without causing fatigue or drowsiness. Studies suggest that taking 200mg L-Theanine daily can soothe your brain and allow you to think through with sheer calmness. This ultimately enhances your concentration power and increase productivity. Studies even show that taking just 50mg L-Theanine can boost the production of alpha-waves in the brain that are directly linked to creativity. Experts suggest that L-Theanine when taken with caffeine, proves to be more effective. This is the reason why you find many performance-enhancing supplements infused with these two nootropics.
3 Cannabidiol (CBD)
Cannabidiol or CBD is an active compound found in the cannabis plant. It works as a nootropic by supporting the endocannabinoid system of the brain. The endocannabinoid system is responsible for transmitting messages to the brain from different parts of the body. If there are any distress and the endocannabinoid system is out of balance, the whole body is affected. CBD helps the endocannabinoid system by preventing it from binding with its receptors. This prevents the brain from realising that the body is in some sort of distress. CBD works to support the function of the endocannabinoid system. So, it keeps your concentration levels and focus intact and soothes any distress. There are many benefits of CBD other than enhancing the focus levels and attention.
4 ALCAR (Acetyl-L-Carnitine)
ALCAR is an amino acid that is naturally produced in the body. However, with the advancement in medical science, you can now buy ALCAR supplements from pharmacies and drug stores. ALCAR is used for treating a variety of mental disorders, including age-related memory loss, Alzheimer’s disease, and late-life depression. It has been found that ALCAR can also help in boosting attention span, focus, and concentration levels in healthy individuals.
This is everything you need to know about nootropics and their types. We recommend you talk to your doctor before taking nootropic because the doctor may rule out any potential side effects or allergies you may have with the compound.
Divya Gandotra has an intent adulation towards writing. It is not just a source of earning but fuel to her soul, for which perpetual and adhere reading keeps her looped to it. Working on varied niches makes Divya love for her art even more and she put her best foot forward to bring innovative content to the table so that it brings a sense of satisfaction in her readers’ minds.